Elevate Your Taco Bar with These 10 Tasty Sides
Ah, taco bars – a fiesta favorite that never fails to bring friends and family together. While tacos are delicious enough on their own, what really brings them to life are the side dishes that complement them. So, if you're wondering, "What goes good with a taco bar?" get ready to spice up the spread with these 10 scrumptious sides you can make at home!
1. Refried Beans
Refried beans, or "frijoles refritos," have been a staple in Mexican cuisine for centuries. This versatile and flavorful side dish pairs perfectly with tacos and can be served as a dip, tortilla spread, or as a filling for burritos and enchiladas.
2. Traditional Mexican Rice
No taco bar is complete without the traditional Mexican dishes we've all come to know and love — especially Mexican rice! Sauté those long fluffy grains with onions and garlic. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, and flavorful spices. Then, simmer until the rice is tender and infused with the savory flavors this classic taco bar side dish is known for.
3. Taco Slaw
Taco slaw is a creative twist on traditional coleslaw, adding Mexican-inspired flavors and a satisfying touch to your taco bar. This flavorful mixture of shredded cabbage, carrots, cilantro, green onions, spices, and tangy dressing creates the perfect balance of freshness and texture. Serve it as a side dish, or use it as a topping to give your tacos an extra layer of zing.
4. Seven-Layer Dip
Known for its colorful, vibrant layers and delicious combination of flavors, seven-layer dip is an all-time Tex-Mex party favorite. The combination of creamy, tangy, and savory ingredients creates a harmonious blend of mouthwatering tastes and textures. Here's how to get yours started.
- Start with refried beans as the base.
- Follow the first layer with guacamole.
- Mix sour cream, mayo, and taco seasoning in a bowl. Use this mixture for your third layer.
- Add shredded cheese.
- Top off the dish with diced tomatoes, green onions, and black olives.
- Repeat the layers as desired to create a visually appealing dip.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
5. Mexican Street Corn Salad
Looking for a side dish that adds a burst of color and flavor to your taco bar? Corn salad is sure to spice up the set-up. Inspired by the popular Mexican street food, "elote," this creamy mixture of roasted corn, mayonnaise, cotija cheese, chili powder, lime juice, cilantro, and sour cream perfectly accompanies any taco creation.
6. Zesty Black Bean Salad
It's time to give your taco bar a refreshing and tangy twist with a zesty black bean salad! This colorful and vibrant side dish is packed with the yummy flavors of black beans, sweet corn, avocado chunks, and drained pico de gallo. Toss all the ingredients together, drizzle with lime juice and olive oil, and season to taste. Let it chill in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to mingle.
7. Grilled Corn on the Cob
Looking for another ear-resistible addition to your taco bar? Corn on the cob is a beloved summer side dish, and grilling it brings out its natural sweetness while adding a smoky flavor. Peel the husks of your fresh corn, brush it with melted butter, sprinkle with chili powder and salt, and grill until tender and lightly charred. Squeeze on some lime juice to finish it with flavor.
8. Jalapeño Poppers
One of the best side dishes for a taco bar is jalapeño poppers. This mouthwatering treat combines the fiery heat of jalapeño peppers with a cheesy, crispy filling
Get your jalapeños poppin' with these steps.
- Cut a batch of fresh jalapeños in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds
- Fill the jalapeños with cream cheese.
- Sprinkle on your favorite seasonings.
- Wrap each jalapeño with a slice of bacon and secure with toothpicks.
- Bake in the oven or air fryer until the bacon is crispy, and the cheese is melted.
9. Cilantro Lime Rice
Cilantro lime rice adds a refreshing and zesty element to any taco bar, complementing the other flavors on the plate. Known for its vibrant flavors, fresh ingredients, and aromatic combination of cilantro and lime, this dish pairs wonderfully with grilled meats, black beans, and all your other favorite taco fillings.
10. Chipotle Sweet Potato Fries
When it comes to the list of favorite side dishes, you can't go wrong with fries. But forget about those plain old potato sticks because here's a game-changer — Chipotle Sweet Potato Fries! This savory mixture of seasonings and oil adds a smoky and spicy touch that can't be beat.
Here's how to get your chipotle party started:
- Preheat your oven to a sizzling 400°F. Hot stuff, right?
- Grab some sweet potatoes and cut them into fry-like shapes.
- Mix olive oil, chipotle powder, garlic, salt, and a pinch of paprika in a bowl.
- Toss the sweet potato fries in the spicy mixture until coated.
- Spread the fries in a single layer on a baking sheet and pop 'em in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and serve these caliente fries alongside your tacos.
You've Got the Sides, Burrachos Has the Tacos
You're ready to get to work making the perfect sides, but why not let Burrachos handle the tacos part of your taco bar? With our delicious Mexican food catering services, your guests can build their own tasty tacos with a variety of fillings, toppings, salsas, and more. We can even help add more sides to your taco bar! Choose from options like beans, queso, guac, desserts, and fajita veggies. After all, wouldn't our mouthwatering guacamole look great next to your homemade jalapeño poppers?
Contact us today to learn how we can help make your next event a huge success.